Question:

From Memphis, Tennessee, USA:

I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy with my now nearly three year old son, who seems to constantly ask for water, and when I give him water, he gulps it down. My husband thinks he's doing this as a way to delay bedtime (as it happens every night), but I see it occurring at other times. I also remember the extreme thirst I had with my gestational diabetes, and I'm concerned. My son isn't potty trained yet, so I can't say if his urination has increased. Is there any connection between gestational diabetes and later development of diabetes in the child? What tests should I ask the doctor to do when my son has his checkup next month? I still have a glucose monitor -- should I try and check my son after a meal?

Answer:

My hunch is that your husband is right. Your son is not at increased risk of' developing type 1 diabetes.

[Editor's comment: Testing for diabetes should include blood sugar levels performed by a medical laboratory. The timing of the sample (fasting, random, or postprandial) would influence how high a level is considered abnormal. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for further information.

Home glucose testing, if done, might be positive, which would make the situation more urgent to get lab testing done to confirm the abnormal results. However, home glucose testing, if negative, would not exclude diabetes. WWQ]