From Switzerland:

I am the grandfather of a child with diabetes, and I am worried that there might be a situation in the future life of my grandchild where she could not get her supply of insulin (war, terrorism, or even economic problems). I am therefore interested in buying a relatively large amount (a one year supply) of lyophilized (freeze dried) insulin, which she could stock at -20 °C. At this temperature the insulin will be almost infinitely stable. Do you know of a commercial source for lyophilized insulin?

Both lyophlized and crystalline human insulin could be obtained through WHO. However, I don't believe that it would be easy to reconstitute as it is really made for laboratory work and not for clinical use. Unopened bottles of regular and NPH insulin are stable in the refrigerator for up to three years, but you have to check on the expiration date in case the pharmacist has already had the vials in stock for some time. My suggestion would be to maintain a six month supply and to constantly use the bottles that are nearest to expiring.