Question:

From Northern Michigan, USA:

My 13 year old little brother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the early stages. They say his cells are insulin resistant. He takes a medication called Glucophage [metformin], tests his blood sugar twice a day, and is on a diet that has him counting carbs, calories, protein, and fat. We as a family are having trouble developing a successful way to help him chart his intake of these carbs and such and need something that a 13 year old can understand and manage on his own. Where would we get the tools needed to help my brother manage his blood sugar with his diet?

Answer:

Your best option is to talk to a dietitian that familiar with type 2 diabetes in children. Such a person will have the resources you need to help find an acceptable strategy for altering his diet to assist with his blood sugar control. His physician will be a good place to start to look for help.