From Northern Michigan, USA:

My 13 year old little brother was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in the early stages. They say his cells are insulin resistant. He takes a medication called Glucophage [metformin], tests his blood sugar twice a day, and is on a diet that has him counting carbs, calories, protein, and fat. We as a family are having trouble developing a successful way to help him chart his intake of these carbs and such and need something that a 13 year old can understand and manage on his own. Where would we get the tools needed to help my brother manage his blood sugar with his diet?

Your best option is to talk to a dietitian that familiar with type 2 diabetes in children. Such a person will have the resources you need to help find an acceptable strategy for altering his diet to assist with his blood sugar control. His physician will be a good place to start to look for help.