From Chateauguay, Quebec, Canada:

I have type 2 diabetes, and my glucose readings are nearly always the same (5.2-6.2 mmol/L [94-111mg/dl]). Is it possible that sometimes it takes longer for the blood sugar level to go higher? Is this okay?

The rise in blood sugar after meals is determined by the amount of food consumed, the type of food, the amount of insulin available, and your insulin resistance. If you have type 2 diabetes, you have to overcome the insulin resistance, as well as the relative insulin deficiency to keep the glucose down.

In the United States, the supper meal is usually the largest meal of the day. We frequently see sugars higher after that meal, compared to others. Simply stated, people eat more food at supper than other meals. that means the glucose goes higher and the sugar stays up longer. I would recommend you speak with your physician regarding your post-meal blood sugar goals.

Posted to Daily Care and Type 2