Question:

From Brainerd, Minnesota, USA:

My five year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about seven months ago and in the honeymoon phase, also has mild ADHD for which she takes Adderall. Recently however, Adderall prescription lapsed, and during that time, her waking blood sugar have been 167-307 mg/dl [9.2-17.1 mmol/L]. Does the Adderall lower her blood sugars or give false readings? Should she continue it? My gut instincts tell me to drop the Adderall and monitor the blood sugars to see what the real numbers are going to be. Do you agree? Any input you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Answer:

Adderall has no significant effect on blood sugars that I'm aware of. I would follow your physician's recommendations regarding using the Adderall.

Posted to Other Medications