From Massillon, Ohio, USA:

My 11 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with hypoglycemia, and we have already tried giving her snacks at school between meals, but she still has symptoms about four times a week. My insurance does not cover a dietitian and I need to know where to look on line for diet. Would it be best for her to go to an endocrinologist?

I would suggest you try to get an appointment with a pediatric endocrinologist. If that is not possible and you can not visit a dietitian, the basic meal plan for someone who has true hypoglycemia is no sweets are to be eaten by themselves. Sweets are not just regular pops, candies cookies, etc. but also fruits and fruit juices. If those foods are eaten, it is best to eat them with a meal or if they are eaten between meals, to be sure and include a food that takes longer to digest with them, as a glass of milk and a cookie or cheese and fruit or yogurt and juice.

[Editor's comment: There are many forms of hypoglycemia, and I think it would be important to find out what's causing it. a referral to a pediatric endocrinologist should help sort this out. It is also likely that he/she will have a dietitian on staff who can assist with the meal planning issues. SS]

[Editor's comment: Also, see Other causes of hypoglycemia at the Diabetes Monitor. WWQ]