From Massachusetts, USA:

My 14 year daughter old has had type 1 diabetes for about a year and a half. We're both vegetarians (no red meat, fish, chicken, eggs, and very little dairy), and I am concerned because a friend told me that soy can cause thyroid problems. Is this true? I know that people with diabetes have a higher instance of thyroid troubles, and since our diet contains a goodly amount of soy (soy milk with our cereal and tofu as a protein source), I'm a little concerned.

No reason to worry. Vegetarian food choices are significantly more healthy than meat eaters. As far as soy and the thyroid gland, the problem is that soy containing foods/drinks can interfere with thyroid hormone absorption. If you and your daughter are not actually taking a thyroid pill, then you don't have anything to worry about with regards to soy.

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Thyroid