Question:

From Monett, Missouri, USA:

My son is having a camp out for his birthday in a few weeks, and one of the children invited has just been diagnosed with diabetes. We were going to roast hot dogs and have s-mores. Can the child with diabetes have any of these? What are some good options?

Answer:

As a general rule, avoiding simple sugars is best for kids with diabetes, although an occasional treat is okay if an adequate insulin dose is also taken. If there is an alternative treat you could think of for the party, I would do so. I would not single out the child with diabetes to not offer s-mores. You might look at the Equal website for some good ideas.

[Editor's comment: I would also suggest that you contact this child's parents and discuss what you are planning to serve. They would be the best one to know what their son can have and how to handle the party. SS]