From Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA:

I think my eight year old son may have some symptoms of diabetes. He has doubled his weight in one year, he can't play for long periods of time without his legs giving out on him (says they feel like jelly and he can't control them, then he will fall to the ground), he is fatigued all the time, almost weak, he gets very irritable at times, and he stays sleepy a lot.

This does not sound like diabetes, but it's impossible to make a diagnosis over the Internet. You should talk to your son's doctor and get some examinations done. It certainly does not sound normal to this pediatrician!

[Editor's comment: See symptoms of diabetes. SS]