From Manchester, Tennessee, USA:

My two daughters (ages 10 ands18) both have what the doctor termed insulin resistance, and both have skin discoloration especially on the neck. Can I stop the skin discoloration? it is very embarrassing. We tried using a steroid cream on the next, but it did not work? Any suggestions? I am have insulin dependent diabetes, but I don't suffer from the darkening of the skin on my neck.

It sounds like you are talking about acanthosis nigricans, and there is not much that can be done cosmetically. Steroids do not work.

If being overweight can be overcome, then the insulin resistant state will be reduced and/or eliminated, but this requires rigorous changes in food and activity that must be sustained.

You should be in touch with an endocrinologist/diabetologist who understands Syndrome X and can provide specific advice. Lipids and blood pressure should be monitored and addressed aggressively if abnormal just as periodic diabetes assessment should take place.