From Phoenix, Arizona, USA:

My grandma's blood sugar is 405 mg/dl [22.5 mmol/L]. What should I do? What causes it to be that high?

Your grandmother is very lucky to have a grandchild who is as concerned about her as you are. A blood sugar of 405 mg/dl [22.5 mmol/L] is indeed too high, particularly if it remains this high for long or is often in this range. Many things can cause this to happen, such as too many carbohydrate foods at one time such as breads, fruits, sweets, etc. Missing a pill or insulin shot may also cause this. So too can illness, stress, or injury.

The good news is that blood sugar can be controlled with the right combination of medication, diet, and exercise. If her blood sugars are running this high often, your grandma should talk to her doctor and healthcare team about better blood sugar control. She may need more of her medication or a different medication to treat her diabetes. Her doctor will need to help her with this. You can help by encouraging your grandma to both talk to her doctor and to learn all she can about good diabetes management. She is lucky to have your support.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA