From Hampton, Georgia, USA:

My husband recently became ill with severe nausea, chills, headache, and a fever of 102 degrees F. When he went to the doctor, he informed us that he had type 1 diabetes basing this decision on the fact that my husband's blood sugar was 180 mg/dl [10 mmol/L], and he had sugar in his urine. My husband was then sent for a glucose tolerance test which was essentially normal, with the exception of elevated insulin levels and elevated C-peptides. and has now been referred to an endocrinologist.

This information has been puzzling to us considering my husband has been healthy all of his life, and the only family history we know of is his maternal great-grandmother and his paternal grandfather.

I would agree that the physician has not provided you information to justify the diagnosis of type 1 diabetes. Hopefully, the endocrinologist will help sort this out.

[Editor's comment: See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes. SS]