From Brick, New Jersey, USA:

My granddaughter passed out several times, but all her doctor said was that she had hypoglycemia, and she was told not to have anything with sugar. No other treatment or any diet was recommended, which we find very unsatisfactory. Since she has an HMO, we feel that her doctor was not very thorough. I am concerned about her, and since she will be playing soccer this Fall in college, shouldn't she have a regimen to follow?

If your granddaughter indeed has hypoglycemia (which must be determined through laboratory testing -- not simply by history), then simple and complex sugars (in addition to a well balanced diet with smaller more frequent meals) are usually the treatment.

I would make sure to bring all of your questions to the attention of her physician for a complete answer.