Question:

From New Jersey, USA:

My 47 year old husband, who has had diabetes since the age of four, basically takes good care of himself and is a physical person, but injured his foot a year ago. He had it x-rayed and saw an orthopedist who said it was not broken and to take it easy. His diabetes doctor and said it is probably a torn ligament and that it could take a long time to heal, but I find it strange that it is still swollen and painful after this amount if time. I do have him scheduled to see another doctor. Is it normal to still have a swollen foot?

Answer:

No, it is not normal to have a persistently swollen foot. I agree with your concern. It sounds like your husband may need an MRI to rule out infection or fracture.