From Greenwood, Indiana, USA:

I am 41 years old, have had type 1 diabetes since age three, and I have a rise in blood sugars during menstruation. Is this an indication of possible blood sugar problems during menopause when the time comes? If yes, what treatment options might there be (hormonal supplements, controlling blood sugars)?

The rise in blood sugars you may be experiencing may be the result of natural changes in your level of hormones during the menstrual cycle. For instance, progesterone rises during the latter portion of the cycle, and you may be experiencing increased insulin resistance from this rise.

This may also be seen with progesterone in a hormone replacement regimen, but I do not necessarily look upon this problem as a reason not to use hormone replacement. Rather, you need to utilize a change in your insulin therapy that allows for the hormonal change.