Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

My 10 year old daughter's doctor will not prescribe a pump for until we attend a class for a day at a cost of $1000 which we cannot afford, and my daughter is on Medicaid. She needs a pump. Please help!

Answer:

The first question I have to ask is whether or not Medicaid has approved an insulin pump for your daughter. If it has, then associated costs of education should also be included. Secondly, all of the pump manufacturers provide for necessary education associated with pump therapy. In addition, at least one of them has a program that awards free pumps to children in need. See Pumps for Kids. You should contact the companies directly for more details about what might be available to you.

As far as your present doctor is concerned, it seems to me that he really is not interested in working with you. If possible, I would seek out another physician who would be.

SS

DTQ-ONCEMJSH20020630
Posted to Insulin Pumps