Question:

From Los Angeles, California, USA:

I have type 2 diabetes treated with Glucophage [metformin] and have been observing a low-carb/increased protein diet. However, it seems that even small amounts of carbs (a bit of rice or bread in a few meals) leads me to pack on about four pounds very quickly. Does the fact small carb portions quickly pack weight on suggest anything to you?

Answer:

I am not a big fan of the high protein diet for patients with diabetes. You are taking in large amounts of protein and often large amounts of fat. Even if fat intake is kept reasonable, you are concentrating protein in the kidney and that is not a good thing for patients with diabetes. I would suggest a comprehensive approach looking at total calories. I suggest you see a dietitian.

DTQ-20020627204238B