Question:

From Wisconsin, USA:

I don't know if I have diabetes. I heard my teacher talking about some of the symptoms of diabetes, and so I looked up things about diabetes, and I have most of the symptoms of type 1 diabetes. Does that mean I have diabetes?

I know that diabetes runs in the family because mostly all my mom's aunts and uncles have it, and my grandmother has it so it is common in my family. I am really worried about me having it. What could I do to see if I have it? If I were to be tested by my doctor, what questions should I be aware of that he will ask me? What will the testing will be like?

Answer:

If you have symptoms that suggest you have diabetes then you must see a doctor soon.

[Editor's comment: Testing for diabetes should include blood sugar levels performed by a medical laboratory. The timing of the sample (fasting, random, or postprandial) would influence how high a level is considered abnormal. See Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes for further information. WWQ]