Question:

From Sunnyside, Washington, USA:

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a year ago after an abnormal oral glucose tolerance test (more two values over 200 mg/dl [11.1 mmol/L], and since then, my fasting levels have been "normal" (80-90 mg/dl 4.4-5 [mmol/L]). Additionally, my last A1c was 5.3%. Do I really have type 2 diabetes? If so, how long can I have"normal" fasting levels?

I'd like to know how this may progress. I know nobody really can guess how a person's body may do, but I'd like an educated guess. I'm somewhat confused to be diagnosed diabetic, but have "normal" fasting levels. I have relatives who had diabetes and were on insulin (my aunt, my grandmother, and my grandmother's two sisters; these are all on my mother's side of the family).

Answer:

It sounds like you met the criteria for diagnosis of type 2 diabetes a year ago, and unfortunately, diabetes does not go away, but it can be controlled. Many things may have happened since you learned of your diagnosis such as: losing weight, eating smaller portions of carbohydrates and increasing your physical activity. If you have made any of these important lifestyle changes then your blood sugars would improve. Are you taking any medication for diabetes?

You don't mention whether you are monitoring your blood sugar at home and what your blood sugars are two hours after eating. It is not uncommon in diabetes to have a normal pre-meal blood sugar and a high two hour after eating (postprandial) test. If you are not doing so already, I suggest you start testing your blood sugar before and two hours after meals to see whether or not your diabetes is truly well controlled. The pre-meal tests should be less than 120 mg/dl [6.6 mmol/L] the two-hour post meal tests should be less than 140 mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L].

JS