From Quebec, Canada:

My son developed type 1 diabetes just over a year ago, and to make him feel better, I told him that if he took good care of himself, not to worry that I felt confident that there would be a cure for diabetes most likely within the next ten years and maybe sooner. Do you think this is a good idea to keep his morale up? I really do feel there will be a cure, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm doing the right thing by letting him know my outlook.

While I hope you are correct, it is not right to base everything on this hope. The age of your son will dictate his level of understanding, but it may be better to temper your discussions with the notion that whenever something better comes along, it's vitally important that he gets to that point in the best possible health.