Question:

From Chateauguay, Quebec, Canada:

I have type 2 diabetes, and I am starting my menopause. Does this affect my blood sugar?

Answer:

Menopause can also be looked at as the time in life where you are deficient of estrogen. You do not ovulate anymore and cyclic menstrual periods cease. Estrogen and progesterone are known to have effects on insulin action. Without them you may be less insulin resistant. However, when the estrogen and progesterone are replaced, they can add some effect to cause insulin resistance. The magnitude of the change is not large. It can usually be compensated for by making minor changes in your medications or insulin regimen.

Additional comments from Dr. Bill Jones:

Menopause can affect glucose control. In general it leads to increased insulin resistance. Therefore you may not respond as well to oral hypoglycemic agents and thus require in increase in the dose. The other issue that comes up is whether you should be on estrogen replacement. I feel that this is of benefit in women with diabetes. It may improve glucose control as well as reduce the incidence of cardiovascular disease. You should speak further with your physician about these topics.

DTQ-20020626213545B
Posted to Daily Care and Type 2