Question:

From Flin Flon, Manitoba, Canada:

My son, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a week ago, has blood sugars e ranging around 13 mmol/L [234 mg/dl], but I am guessing in a couple of more weeks he will hit his honeymoon period. When should I start expecting him to hit lows? When should I be checking his sugars in the night? I am scared he will go low in the night, and I won't know. Do lows always happen during the honeymoon period?

Answer:

Mild hypos are common during the honeymoon period, but severe hypos are very rare. You should follow your diabetes team's advice about testing during the night.

Posted to Honeymoon and Hypoglycemia