From West Fork, Arkansas, USA:

My eleven year old son's blood sugar levels have jumped to 200-400 mg/dl [11.1-22.2mmol/L] in the last couple of months, even though his diet has not changed (if any change at all, it diet has decreased). He is now taking mixed insulin twice a day and using a sliding scale of Regular insulin. Does puberty change his blood sugar levels to that effect? What should I be checking into to lower his blood sugar?

Yes, puberty can have this effect. You should discuss specific insulin requirements with your son's diabetes team.

[Editor's comment: See previous questions about puberty. SS]

Posted to Puberty