From Bennington, Oklahoma, USA:

I am 18 years old, was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes five months ago, and my doctor ran C-peptide and insulin levels. My insulin was very low, but my C-peptide was high. I read that they should be the same and that a high C-peptide meant type 2 diabetes. At first, my doctor thought I had type 2 and tried on me pills, but none of them help at all. So, I don't see that I have type 2.

I am overweight, but I am very responsive to my insulin, and my blood sugar is fairly stable now (115-175 mg/dl [6.4-9.7 mmol/L] before and after meals). I currently take NPH twice a day with a sliding scale of Regular.

I am starting college this fall and would like to get an insulin pump. In fact I have an appointment with a specialist so that I can get one, but If what I read is right and I have type 2 diabetes, will I be able to get one? Any help would be appreciated.

It is important to know under what conditions the insulin and C-peptide were measured. Similarly, the glucose at the time of the measurement needs to be determined to understand whether the results are appropriate are not. I agree the discordant results are not helpful. I would suggest that even if you could measure C-peptide after your diagnosis, you still could have type 1 diabetes because of a recovery or honeymoon period.

I would suggest seeing the specialist and letting him/her help you sort out this complicated problem.