From Lebanon, Indiana, USA:

Recently, my doctor told me that my C-peptide was 6.9 and that I would develop diabetes at sometime in my life. I am 46 year old female who is obese. What does this test tell me?

C-peptide test is useful to determine whether or not you are producing enough insulin on your own. Since your C-peptide level was 6.9, you are producing insulin.

I would think that your doctor was concerned about your weight being a major risk factor for the development of type 2 diabetes, not type 1, and may be interested in following your C-peptide level over time to see if it declines.

The best way for you to avoid developing diabetes is to start a diet and exercise program as soon as possible. Even a modest weight loss (such as twenty pounds) will lower your risk.

[Editor's comment: See Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) at the Diabetes Monitor, for more information. SS]