From Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA:

I heard that CIBA vision had tested contact lenses that measured glucose in tears on nine patients but have been unable to get any further information (plans for continued testing, schedules of testing trials, sponsors or even doctors overseeing the testing). Can you give me any more information or a contact?

CIBA presented a poster on the contact lens glucose monitor at the 2001 ADA Scientific Sessions. Information about that poster is on line at our report from ADA 2001. When I last spoke with representatives from CIBA who were involved with this work, they were assessing whether or not the product had commercial viability.

[Editor's comment: Also see a news story, Contact lens measures glucose, at MSNBC. WWQ]