From Pohnpei:

I live in the tropical isles of the Pacific Ocean. I am 41 and was diagnosed with diabetes about two months ago. Is there anyway to regain normal blood sugar after exercise on a regular basis? What is the normal scale for control? What kind of food is recommended to take daily to prevent rise of my blood sugar?

Your blood sugar goals should be:

• less than 120 mg/dl [6.7mmol/L] before meals
  • less than 140mg/dl [7.8 mmol/L] two hours after you start eating any meal
  • 100-140 mg/dl [5.5-7.8mmol/L] at bedtime.
In addition, you should have a hemoglobin A1c test done every three months which should be less than 1% above the upper limit of normal for the lab performing the test.

I highly recommend that you see a diabetes educator and/or dietitian to teach you how to carbohydrate counting and work out some meal plans with you using foods that you enjoy in the right amounts. Your diabetes educator can also help you with starting an exercise program that will help you lower your blood sugar. Also, search The Diabetes Monitor and American Diabetes Association websites.