From Plymouth, Devon, England:

I'm 20 years old, I have type 1 diabetes, I'm 5 feet 8 inches tall, and I weigh just over 11 stone (154 pounds). I'm not happy with the weight that I'm at, and I really want to lose some. What is the safest way to lose weight?

The main message is that you should not go on a crash diet, and you should not manipulate your insulin to lose weight. What I would recommend is that you make an appointment with your diabetes team dietitian and discuss your eating pattern.

The best method of reducing calories will be dependent upon your diabetes control. In essence, however, what you will be doing is reducing calories and insulin in tandem so that your control remains on a even keel. The role of exercise should not be underestimated. Once again, do not embark on any proprietary diets without professional advice.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss