Question:

From Independence, Missouri, USA:

My six year old grandson, diagnosed at the age of 15 months, has had all the normal childhood vaccinations with no problems so far. However, he has never been vaccinated for influenza or pneumonia. With all the talk of possibly beginning to vaccinate the general population against smallpox again, it started me wondering if there are some vaccinations that should be avoided and what that reason might be. Are there any vaccinations that children with type 1 diabetes should avoid?

Answer:

There are no routine childhood or adult vaccinations that you need to avoid because of diabetes.

Posted to Other Medications