From Medford, Oregon, USA:

About a year and a half ago my four year old daughter was diagnosed with hypoglycemia after two "spells" of extreme lethargy, almost unconscious. When she was seen by the endocrinologist at the medical school, we asked if she could develop diabetes as a result of her hypoglycemia, and they said no. However, she is thirsty all the time and urinates very frequently, so I am concerned that she could have diabetes.

Her pediatricians (and we have seen several) have all just blown off the possibility of diabetes, but we do have a family history. Should I be concerned? What should I do? We do not have any pediatric endocrinologists in our area; can she be seen by any endocrinologist?

I would suggest having a follow-up appointment with the endocrinologist who diagnosed her with hypoglycemia. That is likely that best and quickest route to a full explanation of her current symptoms.

[Editor's comment: It's unclear from your question if the pediatricians who are not diagnosing diabetes are doing so based on repeated normal levels of blood sugar. The only way to diagnose diabetes would be elevated blood sugar levels, and conversely, repeated normal blood sugars would speak against the diagnosis. It would be inappropriate to deny the diagnosis in light of symptoms, or a prior opinion that diabetes couldn't happen. WWQ]