Question:

From Sydney, New South Wales, Australia:

I'm worried because I am 13 1/2 years old, and I have not got my period yet. I have developed breasts, a bit of pubic hair but none under the arms yet. Also, I have been told that people with type 1 diabetes cannot have children.

I feel sad occasionally, lonely and begin crying for no particular reason when I am by myself. I have heaps of friends at school and e-mail pals, and I also am active at sport. Please give me some advice.

Answer:

It is my feeling that you would benefit from discussing these issues with your doctor or a gynecologist (a female specialist). It is not universally true that females with type 1 diabetes cannot bear children. It is a false belief.

I do not know your weight which may have a bearing on your not having a period. Other factors may impact ovulation and periods. Again, I suggest a visit to a doctor who specializes in women's health. As to your tearfulness, puberty itself can wreak havoc on hormones and cause mood swings. A more extensive set of questions would need answers regarding that specific problem.

Please talk with your physician and don't hold back on how you are feeling. Do you have an endocrinologist there who manages your diabetes? That would be a great place to start to examine your concerns.

CMB

Posted to Puberty