Question:

From Clifton, Virginia, USA:

My 12 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes about six months ago, and since then, she has been chronically ill (with every virus, URI, UTI, sinusitis, sore throat, etc.), causing her glucose to be out of control. She has seen an allergist who determined she is allergic to dust only, and we are taking the recommended precautions.

She has a chronic mild, itchy, red sore throat that (according to the allergist) is not related to allergies. Her nasal mucosa is pale which is suggestive of allergies. This child has never been ill before with the exception of the usual childhood illness (chicken pox, roseola, etc.). My daughter has had all the blood tests to rule out immunodeficiency, which were normal.

Is there something we can do to boost her immune system? Is the diabetes causing all of the infection symptoms? Should additional lab work be drawn, if so, what? Can we expect her to have chronic symptoms of infection ongoing or is this temporary and related to new diagnosis of diabetes?

Answer:

I know of no reason related to diabetes for all the problems. Viral like illnesses just seem to be a matter of luck -- good and bad. If you are exposed and not immune to the virus, you get it. Maybe it is a change in school, contacts, etc., not diabetes. Viral illnesses from which she seems to recover do not indicate problems with the immune system to me.

Can illness affect the diabetes? Certainly. Does high glucose affect healing? Yes, so monitor and bring the glucoses down with extra insulin as needed.