Question:

From New Orleans, Louisiana, USA:

When I was first diagnosed, I was very angry about it and have since come to realize that everything happens for a reason and some good (like new friends, a healthier eating and exercise pattern, camp) can come out of something tragic such as diabetes. Now I am a nursing student and am very interested in becoming a diabetes nurse educator as well as an advocate for research What steps should I take now or after graduating as an RN?

Answer:

Contact the American Association of diabetes Educators (AADE) for the specific requirements. You may also wish to contact your local area diabetes educators to discuss this exciting career opportunity. The AADE can provide you with names to contact.

Getting involved with organizations such as the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) will assist you in realizing your dreams of becoming an advocate for diabetes research. Local chapters should be listed in your local phone directory.

DP