Question:

From Whistler, British Columbia, Canada:

For about a year my vision has contained small transparent cell-like obstructions which drift, but appear attached in chains. Also, sometimes my vision seems slightly blurry as if the fluid in my eye contains loose fibrous particles. Is this a diabetic precursor? My doctor said they are just 'floaters', but what is damaging my sight and why isn't it getting better?

Answer:

I can only respond in general terms. It would be helpful to know your age. You asked if your symptoms were a precursor to diabetes so I assume you do not have diabetes as far as you know. You also asked about the cause of damage to your eyes, and this is open to interpretation. What do you mean by damage?

It is common for a vitreous detachment to occur as we get older. This can occur at any age but is more common in adults. A vitreous detachment does cause symptoms of "floaters" which can be a nuisance, but they are benign. At the onset of the symptoms, it is important to have a dilated eye exam to be sure that as the jell like substance in the eye pulls away from the retina that a tear or a detachment did not occur. Once the vitreous detaches then the likely hood of tractional problems becomes less. These floaters do not go away but may become less noticeable with time.

Floaters due to diabetes come from actual blood vessel hemorrhage within the eye. This can occur as a complication of long standing diabetes. It is unusual to have diabetes long enough to encounter this complication without knowing that one has diabetes. Although, this can occur.

I would recommend that you see your eye doctor for a dilated eye exam and have all you questions answered before you leave his office. There should be an explanation for your vision not being as optimum as you would like.

CAG