From Pakistan:

I am a thin 31 year old man who is using insulin, and I have this belief that I do not need physical exercise to burn my fats as I am already under weight. Kindly tell me why is it necessary to walk or take exercise if I want to put on weight.

The benefits of regular exercise extend beyond caloric expenditure and weight management. Particularly with regard to diabetes, exercise lowers blood sugar by increasing the use of glucose for energy and improves insulin sensitivity while decreasing insulin resistance. This allows your body to utilize insulin more effectively, which again has a blood sugar lowering effect. Also important in addressing the complications associated with diabetes, exercise improves circulation and exerts positive effects on risk factors associated with heart disease -- improving blood pressure, cholesterol levels, blood flow/clotting time, stress management, etc.

A well-rounded exercise plan can improve cardiovascular endurance, strength, and flexibility. It also has a positive effect on self-worth and can be just plain fun! As you are concerned about weight loss, you may find the assistance of an exercise specialist and dietitian to be helpful in balancing your exercise plan and weight maintenance goals. Regardless of how you look at it, exercise is good medicine!

Posted to Exercise and Sports and Weight and Weight Loss