Question:

Lakeland, Florida, USA:

I am a 52 year old white female who was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and I suspect that I have also have diabetic retinopathy. My doctor sent me to a dietitian who explained what my diet would be, but I was in such shock (and I admit, denial) that I was unable to 'hear' what she told me. I am unable to return to her because it is of considerable expense. I am floundering, trying to eat what I can 'remember' of the things she explain. When I went to the doctor, my glucose was 571 mg/dl [31.7 mmol/L], and it pretty much stays at 240 mg/dl [13.3 mmol/L] now. Please advise me where I can get a good diet. I have gone to the library and to book stores, but there are so many books, I'm confused. Please help.

Answer:

First of all, your blood glucoses are far too high, and you need to be seen quickly to get those blood glucoses under control so your retinopathy does not progress and to prevent more complications. So, get an appointment with your doctor ASAP.

You will probably need to start on some oral hypoglycemic agents to control your diabetes. I wonder -- if you went back to the dietitian and explained that you did not hear what was said previously, if she /he might repeat the counseling for a reduced price. That is far better than finding a book. However, if you do want a book, there are many available to give you generalized help with the diet. The problem is your meal plan will not be individualized.

LSF

[Editor's comment: I would suggest that you ask for a referral to a diabetes center where you get take a complete course in diabetes management. I would call the case manager at your insurance company and explain the situation. The company should be able to supply you with a list of programs they will cover. If they don't have one, you can the your local American Diabetes Association affiliate for the names of a few. Successful management of type 2 diabetes requires far more than a one-time visit to a dietitian. Please seek the assistance you need without delay!

Also see Nutrition on this website. SS]

Posted to Meal Planning, Food and Diet and Type 2