From Monterey, Tennessee, USA:

Years ago, my partner hit his head and started having seizures. He was not awaking up from his insulin reactions and his sugar kept dropping so they put him on seizure pills (Dilantin). They worked, and he had no seizures until a few night ago when he had a bad one.

He was taken to the hospital where I asked for answers. They just said his Dilantin level was low. What made him not wake up? This it is really scary since I am not home since I work, but my kids are? What do we do?

There are two issues here. First, your partner needs to be on an optimal seizure medication dose to prevent seizures. This presumably occurred because of a previous injury that has left a particular part of his brain susceptible to more seizures. Second, he has diabetes and blood sugars can be low. Not only can seizures occur when the blood sugars are low, they can make it more likely to have a seizure form the previously injured part of the brain. He needs to monitor frequently to prevent lows. He also needs to take his medications regularly to prevent the drug level from going to low. Finally, he needs to work closely with his physician to get guidance on how to achieve these goals.

[Editor's comment: This is a complex situation, and perhaps he should ask for a referral to a diabetes specialist and also to a neurologist. WWQ]