I have a very large family, and there is no one with type 1 diabetes except my son who was in a motor vehicle accident six months prior to his diagnosis. He suffered quite a bit of stress, trauma, and anxiety because of the accident. Could this have triggered his diabetes? I know it cannot cause it, but could it have triggered it? He showed absolutely no symptoms until a week or two before the diagnosis.

We live in a rural community, and I do not seem to be able to have an answer to this question due to limited resources. I would appreciate any information you may be able to send me.

Any serious stress like a motor vehicle accident may accelerate the ongoing autoimmune process which generally lasts a long time with no symptoms at all thus precipitating the slope towards clinical type 1 diabetes. The family history is 90% negative in these patients.