From Endicott, New York, USA:

During her physical exam last week, my daughter's urine showed protein in the alert stage and some glucose so the nurse practitioner wants to repeat the dipstick urine test in two weeks to see if it shows again. She does not have a diagnosis of diabetes.

What should I for? What should I ask the nurse next time? They didn't do a 24 hour urine yet. How normal is it for a dipstick to have an alert stage of protein? What should I be concerned about? It all seems to point to diabetes to me.

If your child had glucose in the urine, she needs to be tested formally for diabetes. This typically includes blood tests and urine tests which are best done in the pediatrician's office. I would recommend reviewing your concerns with your daughter's pediatrician ASAP. You may also wish to review Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines.

Protein in the urine is less likely to be related to diabetes, although it can represent other kidney problems and likely should be followed with serial examinations of the urine until it clears.