Michigan, USA:

I am desperate for some weight loss. I have tried eating less, eating nothing even and allowing my blood sugars to run too high, all in an attempt to lose some very much unwanted weight, unwanted by not only me, but doctors as well. I'm wondering about the over-the-counter drug, Xenadrine. I'm fully aware that most of these products offer, if anything, nothing more than a psychological "fix", but I'm really curious about this product (not so much an appetite suppressant, but as a metabolism booster).

I know it contains the warning about contacting a physician if you have diabetes, but so do hot tubs. Is this sort of (or this particular product) is less safe for someone with type 1 diabetes as opposed to someone without it? If it is, why?

I have some concerns about taking Xenadrine, especially if you have type 1 diabetes. I believe this product contains ephedrine which can cause rapid heartbeat and other symptoms that can increase your risk of heart attack and stroke. Since your risk of heart attack and stroke is already greater because you have diabetes, I wouldn't chance it.

Losing weight is very difficult for most people and many turn to diet aids such as Xenadrine as a "fast fix". Over the long term, the best way to lose weight and keep it off is through diet and exercise. Perhaps you could join WeightWatchers, meet with a dietitian on a regular basis, and/or consider hiring a personal trainer to help you develop an exercise program that will help you to lose weight faster.

Posted to Weight and Weight Loss