Question:

From Baltimore, Maryland, USA:

I have had type 2 diabetes for seven years, and I am treated with insulin. I have gained 30 pounds in a year, and I need relief from my extreme hunger pains. I regardless of what my blood sugar is or when I eat, and they are affecting my sleep. I hope you all will be able to help. My doctor has recommended that I drink more water to quench my appetite.

Answer:

Symptoms such as you have described, that occur nearly 24 hours a day and seem to be unrelated to blood sugar levels or whether you have eaten or not, need further workup and treatment from your physician. Please talk to your primary care physician again about your symptoms. You may, for example, be experiencing symptoms of acid reflux disease involving elevated levels of stomach acids, which can cause the extreme feelings of "hunger" that you have described, and may not necessarily be related to your diabetes.

Your physician may order further testing to rule out ulcers or other damage to the GI (gastrointestinal) tract. He/she may also wish to refer you to a specialist in this area, such as a gastroenterologist. Should your physician feel comfortable treating you himself, there are a number of treatment options, including prescription medications, to reduce the amount of acid in the stomach.

Remember, only your physician can make a diagnosis for you. Communicate your ongoing concerns until your symptoms are resolved.

DMW

Posted to Aches and Pains