Question:

From Pittston, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 14 year old son, who has had type 1 diabetes for three years, just had more tests done, and I'm hoping you can help me with the results. The tests I would like clarification are:

• Fasting C-peptide: 0.5 (normal: 0.6-3.2)
  • islet cell antibodies: negative (normal: negative)
  • GAD antibody: 6.0 (normal:1.0 or less)
  • microalbumin: 0.20 (normal: 0.00-1.90)
  • urine creatinine: 56 (the microalbumin/creatinine ratio was unable to be calculated)
  • alkaline phosphatase: 124 (normal:145-360)
  • BUN was within normal reference range
  • glucose was 317 mg/dl [mmol/L].
  • HDL was within desirable range, but calculated LDL was 133
  • A1c: 8% (the best he has ever had)

Answer:

Your son has type 1 diabetes with no pancreas reserve as indicated by the low C-peptide and positive GAD antibody tests. The other labs are great (kidney tests, etc.). As to LDL, just watch at 133.

DTQ-20020721090255A