From Northport, Alabama, USA:

Recently, I took my three year old daughter to the doctor because of a high fever. Since she has a past history of bladder infections they dipped her urine and didn't find an infection, but her glucose level was over 1000. So, they did a fingerstick blood sugar which was 247 mg/dl [13.7 mmol/L].

The doctor seemed very concerned, said it could have been something, and had me bring her in the following morning for a fasting blood sugar which was 64 mg/dl [3.6 mmol/L]. The doctor explained the high blood sugar level was probably because she had eaten a large amount of sugar that day and that I did not need to be concerned about diabetes anymore since she had a normal reading the following morning.

My daughter doesn't eat a lot of sugar (in my opinion) and hadn't really eaten much of anything that day. She does seem to be thirsty a lot but actually has infrequent urination. Her behavior has also changed in the last few months (but we have also just had another baby a few weeks ago) and she naps and sleeps a lot (12 hours at night with two and a half to four hour nap during the day). I certainly don't want to borrow trouble, but several health care professionals have told me that I should still have her re-tested at her next check-up. I just want a specialist's opinion.

I hope I can help reassure you. I agree that your daughter likely does not have diabetes. Many things can cause a blood glucose to go up and then lead to "spilling" of glucose into the urine. Not uncommonly various "stressors" can do this including illness, infections, medications, physical stresses, and maybe even emotional stresses. I do not agree that "eating too much sugar" often leads to this degree of blood glucose. Indeed, if it were related to eating, that would be consistent with prediabetes and/or diabetes.

Can I tell you that your daughter is not going to develop diabetes? Well -- no. Is she maybe at higher risk as she has possible given us a look into the future? Maybe. I am reassured that she has not been urinating as much because increased urination is one of the top symptoms of diabetes.

Nevertheless, I think you should just casually keep note of her drinking and urinating habits. It would be easy to periodically have her blood glucose checked at follow up appointments with her pediatrician. Some might suggest a formal oral glucose tolerance test or other special testing, but, based on your description, I'd probably hold off on that for now.