Honea Path, South Carolina, USA:

My eight year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over two years ago, has had a very bad body odor lately which smells like onions. She bathes regularly and uses deodorant, but the odor is still there. What could possibly be causing this odor?

I'm sorry that I do not know the answer to your question. Your daughter's situation does prompt questions of my own:

1. What of her smells of onions? Her sweat? Her urine? Her feet? Her underarms? Her breath?
  2. Is she in good metabolic control with a good hemoglobin A1c?
  3. Is she academically developing normally? Is she growing normally?
Please discuss with her general pediatrician as I am uncertain that this odor relates to her diabetes.