Question:

Honea Path, South Carolina, USA:

My eight year old daughter, diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a little over two years ago, has had a very bad body odor lately which smells like onions. She bathes regularly and uses deodorant, but the odor is still there. What could possibly be causing this odor?

Answer:

I'm sorry that I do not know the answer to your question. Your daughter's situation does prompt questions of my own:

1. What of her smells of onions? Her sweat? Her urine? Her feet? Her underarms? Her breath?
  2. Is she in good metabolic control with a good hemoglobin A1c?
  3. Is she academically developing normally? Is she growing normally?
Please discuss with her general pediatrician as I am uncertain that this odor relates to her diabetes.