Question:

Economy, Indiana, USA:

My son has type 1 diabetes, and since my nephew has not been looking or feeling very well lately, we decided to check his blood sugar while we were at a family get together two weeks ago. We checked it about an hour after he ate some ice cream, and it was 350 mg/dl [19.4 mmol/L]. I know this is too high so we waited about a half hour, checked it again, and his blood sugar was down to 204 mg/dl [11.4 mmol/L].

His mother took him to see his family doctor about this who checked his sugar, and it read 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L], so the doctor did not seem too concerned. I wanted to see what you would think about this since we now know that type 1 is in the family.

Answer:

If the 135 mg/dl [7.5 mmol/L] was a fasting reading, it is above the Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes Guidelines. Of course, the others are out of range. It may be that the diabetes could be diagnosed quite early in the disease process, which has proven beneficial. I think it is best to seek another medical opinion ASAP.

LSF