Question:

From Salt Lake City, Utah, USA:

I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but my doctor says I am borderline. I was told to exercise and diet, and they will check me again in a year. What kind of foods can or can't I eat? The nurse just said to cut back on things with high sugars, high carbohydrates, and high in fats, but a lot of foods contain all of those. Especially with my current eating habits, that doesn't leave a lot of options for me for food that I like.

Answer:

I would suggest you take direction from the Food Guide Pyramid. It recommends a moderate amount of portions from each of the various food groups (starches, fruits, vegetables, milk/dairy, proteins, fat and sweets).

If you need assistance with an individualized meal plan (even for somebody who may not have diabetes, but prediabetes), ask your physician for a referral to a registered dietitian who specializes in diabetes meal planning. They can give you recommendations for your specific lifestyle and food preferences.

JMS