From Benicia, California, USA:

A week ago, I got a cortisone injection in my shoulder and was told my blood sugar would increase, but the doctor was unable to tell me for how long, and I am still having high blood sugars even if I don't eat. I am on an insulin pump and am wondering how long this will last. My insulin requirements are about double what they are normally, my pump is working fine, and I don't want to change the basal rates if I will go back to normal soon. Can you help?

Steroid injections into joints result in an antagonism of insulin's effects. The duration is usually for five to seven days, which means you should be at the end of the duration of the injection's effects. Remember that this will happen each time you get an injection. Learn how to successfully adjust your insulin therapy so that you can use a similar strategy at a later date.

Posted to Other Medications