Question:

From Singapore:

My now 22 month old cousin was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes one month after he went to the States. As my family has absolutely history of diabetes history, the doctor mentioned environmental changes and viral infection as possible causes. If that's the case, would his diabetes be cured when he comes back to Singapore? What are some other causes, especially since we have no family history of diabetes?

Answer:

Although there are many hypotheses as what causes type 1 diabetes, so far we haven't pinpointed specific ones, and it is no uncommon to find there is no family history. While diabetes can be controlled, currently, there is no cure. See previous questions about causes and prevention and cure.

Posted to Research: Causes and Prevention and Research: Cure