From Calcutta, India:

My 26 year old wife, has had diabetes for about 15 months. Her hemoglobin A1c is 5.1% after about an year on premixed insulin and Glucobay (acarbose), and after consultation with the doctor, we are planning for her conception. Does Glucobay (acarbose) tablets hinder conception? Is it unsafe in pregnancy? If she has already conceived (since her period is presently by over two weeks ) does Glucobay have any chance of damaging the foetus? I would be highly obliged if you would advice me regarding the continuation or otherwise of Glucobay in the present context.

Glucobay (acarbose) works by a different mechanism than other oral hypoglycemic agent. It delays glucose absorption from the intestines rather than stimulates insulin production.

This medication does not appear to have an effect on fertility. Animal studies have not shown any problems during pregnancy, but there is not any human data available. My suggestion is that your wife's diabetes should be managed with insulin alone. This is usually the standard approach in pregnancy with preexisting diabetes.

Posted to Pills for Diabetes and Family Planning