From Atlanta, Georgia, USA:

I am 14 years of age, have had type 1 diabetes for the past nine years, and have been on a pump for the past year and a half. My recent A1c was 8.4%, and, while I know that this not the range it should be in, before I received my insulin pump, it was 9.8%! It has come down quite a bit as you can see, but I do not feel satisfied with this! What should a 14 year old teenage girl's A1c be?

It sounds like you've done a great job moving your hemoglobin A1c levels downward, but you should be trying to reach the low to mid 7% A1c range if you are already in the 8.4% range. The goals for teenagers in our practice are to get below 7% without excessive or severe episodes of hypoglycemia. Pumping should help you achieve those goals.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c